Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Recent toy finds! part 1

It has been forever since I blogged here about any of my toys.   I started a Tumblr, which I really have liked.  I don't feel obligated to wax poetically about what I find.  Just a quick picture and a few words.  It's great!

 I started this blog because the newest and closest Goodwill store was a treasure chest.  Well, that dried up fast.  I haven't found anything in that store in about 6 months. I know people donate toys.   But, this store never has any toys (action figures, naked Barbies, nothing!)   It fluctuates from looking like a Target clearance aisle to empty shelves.  You can hear the crickets.

My husband has gotten better about going to the flea market with me.  Convincing my husband to branch out and travel a little to other flea markets is still a tough sell.   But lately, his best friend has been on a quest to find Visionary toys.  That has helped my cause greatly!

Alright, so enough chit chat.  Let's get to the good stuff.  

First up are the items from my local flea market.


The burning question- To open or not to open?  So far, I haven't opened them.  I am dying to know what is inside other then an almost 30 year old piece of gum.    I got these from an older gentleman who was selling different packs of cards.  He said, " those really are some ugly critters on those cards."   I got the 2 packs for a $1 plus a few loose cards he said I could have because those were the only ones he had.



I got a Charon from Clash of the Titans.   I picked it up thinking it's a cool figure.  He was kind of an impulse buy because the price was good.  Lately, I have been picking up more movie monsters, Ghostbusters, etc.  I thought he might blend in well with them. I was wrong.

 Do you have those toys you just can't connect with?  I had him 2 days and sold him.   He was creeping me out and next to Mr. Staypuft's infectious smile, he just was bringing down the rest of the shelf.



Speaking of movie monsters, I found this 1980 Frankenstien hidden away in the bottom of a box buried under Happy Meal toys. Originally, I dismissed him as one of the Universal Monster toys from Burger King.  But on closer inspection, I realized he was awesome!  I was thrilled to get him.   This is the non glowing version.  I would love to find more of these, especially The Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Phantom of the Opera.




Last weekend, we skipped the flea market and went to a toy show.  Most of the ones in our area are usually really small and kind of hit or miss.  This one was awesome!  I saw so many things that I "needed" and wanted.  I had to stop myself from grabbing arm loads and pick just certain items.

As much as I saw that I wanted, I was really selective and didn't as much as my husband did.  He hit the mother load on Walking Dead figures.  Although not all of his figures came from the toy show.

Like I said, I have been picking up the Real Ghostbusters.    But I could not pass these up.   Nobody from my circle of friends remembers the Filmation Ghostbusters.

I vividly remember this cartoon, the characters, everything about it.   I would watch it on WGN.  My grandmother had cable at her house.  And that channel had all the great cartoons in the afternoon!

As a kid, I never had any of these figures or any of the Real Ghostbuster figures.  I guess that is why I have been buying them up lately.

If you aren't familiar with the characters, the tall robot/skeleton looking guy is Prime Evil.  The girl is Futura.  And the green faced character is Fib Face. You can turn his head around and change his face.

I was excited to see them in the wilds, other then Ebay, I haven't seen them much.  They were my biggest purchase from the show.   I picked up a few vintage Star Wars figures to fill in some gaps.  I only need about 15 more to complete my set.

Lastly, my Ebay obsessions.  Since I can't find any Crash Test Dummy action figures anywhere, I turn to Ebay.   I love Skid the Kid, Hubcat, and Bumper.   Thanks to Eric at Toyriffic and his Halloween post about Hubcat, my obsession began.  Since then,  my baby army has grown!  I am up to 3 loose Skids with car seat, 1 loose Skid with car seat and stroller (which should arrive any day now), 1 Skid the Kid MOC, 2 Bumpers, and 1 Hubcat.

Seriously, if you don't have one of these in your collection, get one!   They are hilarious, ridiculously cute, and slightly inappropriate.  What more could you ask for?



I also got one of my grail figures that I have been wanting for some time.  I finally picked up a Marion Ravenwood, from  ROTLA.  She has her monkey, though he isn't in this picture.

Her skirt is loose and there is some paint wear on her shoes.  To me, she is perfect.


I have more find to share.  Hopefully, since it is spring break I can post more this week.








3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of Skids! I should track one of those down someday myself. I still only have the lone Hubcat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an extra Bumper coming if your interested

      Delete
  2. Hey LeAnn, I have a question for you regarding one of your posts. Can you send me an email to buffycollector13 AT sbcglobal DOT net. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete