Monday, December 30, 2013

Bitchy Miss Daisies and a bear

Is anyone else glad that Christmas is finally over?   I know that sounds awful, but I am.  For those of you with dysfunctional families, I suppose you can appreciate and understand why.   I don't see gift giving as a competition.  But, I found out this year, apparently it is.

 There is always one family member that is difficult to shop for.   For the most part, I spend a better part of the year thinking of something for my dad.  My dad grew up poor.  My grandparents were farmers, so Christmas wasn't full of wants.  It was filled more with practical gifts that were needed. Toys were somewhat of a luxury.

Since becoming a self sufficient adult, when shopping for my dad, I try to select gifts that he normally wouldn't buy for himself.    One thing that my dad has always wanted was a Big Al from the Country Bears. I have randomly search Ebay to see what was available.   None of them were all that, so I would pass on auctions.  My husband wasn't convinced that he really wanted one. Ok, so with all this said,  this leads me further into my story.

Over Thanksgiving, myself, husband, kids, mom, dad, and sister all packed up the family trucksters to go to Disney World for a week.    While we were at the Magic Kingdom, my dad announced to the our group, that he wanted to go see the Country Bears and Hall of Presidents.    After that was said, I looked at my husband with the "see!, I told you so" look.  While in line for Pirates, I found 2 auctions that were worth watching.  Later in the week, I won the auction and the bear arrived the Monday after we got back.


 Big Al is in perfect condition. This was made by the California Stuffed Toy Co. which closed in the mid to late 80s.  It has all of its original tags.  The clothing, which is made of felt has some fading, but I mainly think that is due to the age.   I remember this version of the bear being available during the 80s.

I didn't really share with my mom or sister that I got the bear.  I didn't think that it would be a big deal.  It was our gift to him from the kids.  So, Christmas Eve, we go over to my parent's home for dinner and opening presents.  It turned out to be the last gift he opened and his reaction to it was priceless.  My dad almost cried.   I was really touched by his reaction and it was one of the few moments, this whole holiday season, that filled me with some Christmas spirit.

Now to the part of the story where I need to vent.

So, now that Christmas is a week old, all I have heard for the past 7 days is  my mom and sister bitching about how they couldn't top the bear!   Oh excuse me, I didn't know it was m*&^%# %&*%ing competition.  My mom said, "Next year, I will just let you pick out all of his gifts.  I wasted $200 on a new tv for him."  I didn't realize how badly I pissed in their cereal.

It isn't like the tv won't get watched.  My dad lives and breathes sports (football, baseball, nascar, golf,etc).  If it is televised, the man is watching it.    The bear is just sitting on a shelf.

What bothers me the most, is how petty they are being all because I bought something out of the ordinary.  They have internet.  They know how to shop Ebay.  Get over it!  Do you have family like this? How do you deal with them?










1 comment:

  1. A couple of my wife's aunts has issues in regards to Christmas gifts which as caused problems in the past during the Holidays which really upsets me much like you are. People need to get over things like this and just in enjoy the spirit of the gift giving.

    ReplyDelete