Sunday, May 19, 2013

League of Extraordinary Bloggers- Star Trek






League of Extraordinary Bloggers topic of the week:


                                                   


 This isn't a topic I can get excited about.  There are 2 types of people in this world, those that like Star Wars and those that like Star Trek.   I am and forever will be a Star Wars girl.  Growing up, I never could get past the cheesy aliens and seriously bad over acting.  Don't get me wrong, there is always something to be said for the campy and cheesy, but not in this case.   It is just hard to find that grey area in the middle where  the two can coexist peacefully and smudge that line that divides fandoms.   I just believe that the cool kids like Star Wars better.

I have tried to embrace the Trek.  I  dabbled  with TNG.  It was the 90s is my only excuse and we all have to have a little experimental phase.    Compared to the old series, TNG was vastly more watchable and had more interesting characters.   I enjoyed Data's struggle to become "more human".   When I was in college, I put my nerd cred to the test by writing a paper about gender stereotypes  using Star Trek (original series, TNG, and Voyager) as the basis for my paper and how over time the roles of women had changed within the series.  I was proud of that paper, I did get an A.   I watched a lot of Trek episodes as research, but I still can't call myself a fan.  I did enjoy Voyager, until it turned into the 7 of 9 show.  That series had a different feel to it.   It wasn't stuffy and they weren't necessarily bound by Federation rules per se.

My take on the new movies, well... they are watchable. I think the actors have done a  good job taking the characters making them modern and less campy.  I will never call them my favorites. I wont be whipping out a set of Spock ears in tribute or taking my pet tribble with me.   Most likely my husband and I will go see the new movie on a date night. The reviews seem good, so I probably wont fall asleep like I did during The Hobbit.  

As a Star Wars fan, I am still on the fence about JJ Abrams and this whole "new" Star Wars business.  He has done well with the Trek reboot, but I don't care about Star Trek.  I just don't care about theses characters, I dont care about their conflicts and relationships. I do care about Star Wars and I am just afraid we will be set up for more disappointment, but only time will tell.


So, what does the rest of the League have to say about Star Trek:

Goodwill Hunting 4 Geeks lists 5 things  better then Trek.   Totally agree with everything on the list.

The 30ish year old boy  made up for watching Trek by buying Star Wars figures.

FortuneandGloryDays talks Trek Kre-o

Infinite Hollywood gives a nod to Robot Chicken.

and check out the other posts on the League assignment page.  

2 comments:

  1. With ya on loving Star Wars over Trek. I do enjoy the JJ Abrams movies, but that's really it. I don't get engrossed ithe universe like I have Star Wars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree, TNG did have a lot of really great positive roles for women, I think that can really be the only reason that I even had it on my radar. But yeah, just never really got into Star Trek at all. It will be interesting to see what JJ does with Star Wars for sure.

    ReplyDelete